Pork-Kimchi Dumpling Pancakes
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
San Francisco star chef Corey Lee ingeniously reinvents pan-fried dumplings by adding a batter that turns the dumplings into one round, crisp pancake.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon gochugaru (Korean chile powder) or 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 ounces ground pork
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped drained kimchi
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup firm tofu, finely chopped
- 30 round wonton wrappers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE Mix all of the ingredients until the sugar dissolves.
- MAKE THE DUMPLINGS In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients except the wrappers, cornstarch and oil. Arrange 4 wrappers on a work surface; keep the rest covered with a damp paper towel. Brush the edges of the wrappers with water and drop 1 tablespoon of the filling in the centers. Fold over one side of the wrapper to form a half moon, pressing the edges together. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap; assemble the remaining dumplings.
- In a bowl, stir the cornstarch with 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in an 8-inch nonstick skillet. Arrange 10 dumplings around the edge of the skillet, overlapping slightly (there should be almost no empty space). Cook over moderate heat until golden on the bottom. Drizzle one-third of the slurry over and around the dumplings, cover the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Uncover and cook until the dumplings are cooked through and the slurry forms a thin crust, 4 minutes. Carefully invert the dumpling pancake onto a plate. Repeat to make 2 more pancakes. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Grüner Veltliner from Austria has the same tangy acidity as kimchi and works quite well with these crispy pancakes.