© Kana Okada
Pork Chops with Shallots
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
With lighter meats, pair the wine with the sauce (see our 7 Rules for Perfect Pairing).
More Fast Meat Recipes
- Four 8-ounce bone-in pork rib chops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 large shallots, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and dust with flour. In a skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the pork and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add the butter, reduce the heat to moderately high and cook, turning once, until the chops are browned on both sides, 8 minutes. Transfer the chops to a baking sheet and bake in the oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted at the thickest point registers 145°, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the shallots and anise to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the wine and reduce over moderately high heat to 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and reduce by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute longer. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the chops to plates and top with the sauce.
Serve WithSautéed red chard.
This goes well with a Portuguese Red.