- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Four 1-inch-thick pork rib chops (about 2 3/4 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
In a small skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool, then finely grind.
In a small bowl, whisk the ground cumin with the smoked paprika, brown sugar, chile powder, oregano, garlic, cocoa powder and sesame seeds.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and rub 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture all over each chop.
Grill the chops over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and an instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone registers 135°, about 12 minutes. Transfer the pork chops to a carving board or platter and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
The spice rub can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Merlot often has a chocolaty note—perfect with the cocoa in this rub. Try one from Washington state.