Pork and Tomatillo Stew
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Good News This spicy Mexican-style stew is loaded with vegetables, including carrots, an excellent source of vitamins A and K. Andrew Murray makes it for his employees around harvest time. "It's our comfort food at the winery," he says. "And it's a nice excuse to stop for a few minutes and eat together, even when we're busy."
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into 3-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 Anaheim chile, seeded and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons mild chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Pinch of dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup 1/2-inch-diced carrots
- Two 6-ounce russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound tomatilloshusked, rinsed and cut into 1-inch dice
- Hot sauce
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Corn tortilla chips, for serving
- In a medium casserole or Dutch oven, heat the oil. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned on 2 sides, about 2 minutes per side. Add the celery and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the diced chile, garlic, chile powder, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and tomatillos, cover and simmer over low heat until the pork is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to a plate and shred with two forks. Meanwhile, simmer the stew over moderate heat until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir the shredded pork into the stew and season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Ladle the stew into bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with a few tortilla chips.
A Côte-Rôtie ("roasted slope") blend of Syrah and Viognier is an excellent match with spicy pork stew.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.