Pork and Leeks in Avgolemono Sauce
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Bordeaux-trained winemaker Evangelos Gerovassiliou sometimes hosts lunches in the sleek upstairs tasting room at Domaine Gerovassiliou, which overlooks the vineyard. He loves serving this delicate stew, which is enriched with a traditional avgolemono of egg yolks and lemon juice that's been whisked into the delicious cooking juices.
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large leeks, white and tender green parts only, sliced crosswise 3/4 inch thick
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the pork, beef broth, water, celery, carrot and olive oil and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderately low heat, skimming occasionally, until the meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat and vegetables to a bowl. Add the leeks to the casserole and bring to a boil, then simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 20 minutes. Ladle 2 cups of the hot broth into a glass measuring cup.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the whole egg, then whisk in the lemon juice. In a small bowl, whisk the cold water with the flour, then whisk it into the egg mixture. Gradually add the reserved 2 cups of hot broth to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Add this mixture to the casserole and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until the sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the meat and vegetables to the casserole and reheat. Stir in the dill and serve.
Malagousia, a native Greek white grape that until recently seemed doomed for extinction, has a spicy nectarine flavor that's delicious with this lemony pork dish.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.