Pork-and-Beef Hand Pies
- ACTIVE: 1 HR
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 16 pies
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Anaheim chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Prepared salsa verde, for serving
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, heat the milk and butter at high power in 30-second bursts until just warm to the touch. Add the yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add the 21/2 cups of flour and the salt and stir until a dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until very smooth, about 5 minutes. Set the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let stand until risen and billowy, about 1 hour. Punch down the dough, divide it into 4 pieces and let rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the red onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chile and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ground beef and pork, Tabasco and nutmeg and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in the raisins and chopped eggs and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a bowl and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a floured work surface, roll out 1 piece of the dough to a 9-inch square. Trim the dough to an 8-inch square and cut it into quarters. Brush the edges with water. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of each square. Fold the dough corners over the filling to make triangles; press the edges to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Transfer the pies to 2 parchment paperlined baking sheets. Brush the tops with the beaten egg white and poke a small hole in each pie to vent steam.
- Bake the pies in the upper and lower thirds of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, shifting the pans halfway through baking, until puffed and golden and the filling is bubbling. Let the pies cool slightly, then serve with salsa verde.
Peppery, berried Zinfandel.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.