Pork and Bacon Kebabs
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN plus 1 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
This double dose of pork was inspired by a dish Steven Raichlen encountered on a recent trip to Serbia, where he researched native barbecue traditions for his upcoming book, Planet Barbecue. "The grilling there was amazing, as sophisticated as any grill culture in the world," he says.
Plus: More Grilling Recipes and Tips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 2-inch dice
- 1/2 pound lean slab bacon, cut into 1-inch dice
- In a bowl, mix the garlic with the paprika, salt, caraway seeds, dry mustard, pepper and oil. Add the pork, toss to coat and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Light a charcoal grill. Thread the pork, onion and bacon onto 8 skewers. Grill over high heat, turning, until browned and the pork is just cooked through, 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve.
These kebabs are influenced by Serbian cooking; Zinfandel also has Eastern European rootsit is descended from the Croatian grape Crljenak and will pair nicely here.