© Sabra Krock
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Proving that vegetables can be as satisfying as meat, chef Sean Baker serves this mushroom pâté on the vegan "charcuterie" plate at his Berkeley restaurant, Gather.
More Amazing Vegetarian Dishes
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (see Note)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon light miso
- 2 dry-packed sun-dried tomato halves
- Toasted baguette slices, for serving
- Put the pecans in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small heatproof bowl, cover the porcini with the boiling water and let stand until softened, about 15 minutes. Rub the porcini to remove grit; transfer them to a small bowl. Reserve the soaking liquid.
- Cut the portobello caps in half and, with a sharp paring knife, trim off the dark gills on the underside of each one. Slice the caps into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together the tamari, olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, rosemary and miso. Add the sliced portobellos and toss to coat thoroughly. Let stand for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- In a small saucepan, combine the soaked porcini and sun-dried tomatoes. Slowly pour in the porcini soaking liquid, stopping before you reach the grit at the bottom. Bring the liquid to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat until the tomatoes are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Drain the pecans and transfer them to a food processor. With a slotted spoon, transfer the marinated portobellos, porcini and tomatoes to the processor; puree to a coarse paste, adding about 1/4 cup of the porcini cooking liquid. Add a little more of the porcini liquid if the mixture is too thick. Season lightly with salt.
- Transfer the pâté to a crock and serve with toasted baguette rounds.
Make AheadThe pâté can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Serve lightly chilled or at room temperature.
NotesNutritional yeast is available at health-food stores and at vitaminshoppe.com.