- 1 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- Large pinch of crushed red pepper
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix the veal with the sausage meat, bread crumbs, milk, garlic, chopped parsley, egg whites, tomato paste and 1/2 cup of pecorino; season with salt and pepper. Roll into 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Bake the meatballs on a lightly oiled baking sheet for about 30 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
In a large saucepan, season the tomato sauce with the crushed red pepper. Add the meatballs and simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with pecorino cheese and serve.