Polenta with Sausage, Tomato and Olive Ragout
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- One 28-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 fresh sweet pork sausages (about 2 pounds)
- 7 cups water
- 3/4 cup Calamata olives, pitted
- 1 1/2 cups instant polenta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes, red wine, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, sugar, oregano and crushed pepper; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the ragout until it thickens slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausages in 1 cup of the water over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and thickly slice crosswise on the diagonal, then stir into the ragout with the olives. Keep warm.
- In a large saucepan, bring the remaining 6 cups of water to a boil with 2 teaspoons of salt. Add the polenta and cook, stirring, until thick, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, rosemary and 1/2 cup of the cheese; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the polenta to a large platter and make a well in the center. Ladle the sausage ragout into the well, garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese and parsley leaves and serve.
The berry fruit flavors of a California Zinfandel are a nice contrast to the polenta's rich tomato ragout. Pick a full-bodied example that will stand up to the sausage.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.