- 10 cups cold water
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- One 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, lightly smashed
- 10 coriander (cilantro) sprigs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- One 2-pound sea bass, cleaned
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup finely shredded red cabbage
How to make this recipe
In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, combine the water with the onion, ginger, coriander and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Increase the heat to high and add the fish. Cover and bring back to a boil. Remove the casserole from the heat and let the fish poach in the aromatic liquid for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soy sauce with the chicken stock, sesame oil, vinegar, sugar and white pepper.
Using 2 large spatulas, transfer the fish to a platter. Pour the sauce over the fish, sprinkle with the red cabbage and serve.
One Serving Calories 128 kcal, Total Fat 5.2 gm, Saturated Fat 1 gm