Poached Pears with Prunes
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 navel orange, with skin, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 6 large Bartlett pears, with stems, peeled
- 12 pitted prunes
- Butter cookies, for serving
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil with the sugar, orange slices, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and clove; stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the pears and prunes and cook over moderate heat, turning the pears often, until the pears are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears and prunes to a shallow serving bowl. Boil the poaching liquid over high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Strain the syrup over the pears. Serve warm or at room temperature, with the butter cookies alongside.
Sweet Moscato d'Asti from Piedmont, Italy, pairs nicely with these fragrant pears.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.