Poached Eggs with Cubanelle Pepper Puree
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
Cubanelles are long, sweet peppers that are usually light green (you can occasionally find red ones as well) and sometimes have a slight kick. After chef Tony Maws of Cambridge, Massachusetts’s Craigie Street Bistrot (an F&W Best New Chef 2005) chars the peppers, he blends them with green hot sauce and serves the puree with meaty mushrooms and runny poached eggs.
- 4 Cubanelles or Italian frying peppers
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 pound mixed wild mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced marjoram
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño hot sauce
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400°. On a baking sheet, brush the peppers with olive oil and roast for 20 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned and softened. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Stir in the shallot, garlic and marjoram and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Peel, core and seed the peppers. Transfer the peppers to a blender and puree. With the machine on, add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and the hot sauce and puree. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a large saucepan filled with 3 inches of water to a simmer. Crack each egg into a cup, then slide it into the water. Poach the eggs over low heat until the whites are set and the yolks are runny, 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift the eggs out of the water and blot them dry.
- Spoon the pepper puree onto plates and top with the mushrooms. Set the eggs on the mushrooms, season lightly with salt and pepper and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.