- Four 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 3 anchovy fillets, preferably rinsed salt-packed, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, cover the chicken and garlic with water, add salt and bring to a simmer. Flip the chicken, cover, and cook over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the poaching liquid, transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa verde. In a food processor, combine the garlic, crushed red pepper, lemon zest and juice, parsley, capers and anchovies and pulse until a coarse paste forms. With the machine on, gradually add the olive oil in a thin stream and process until just combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the chicken breast and serve with the salsa verde.
The salsa verde can be refrigerated overnight.
Tip: Prepare a double batch of salsa verde--it makes a meal of the most basic cooked meats, grains, or veggies instantly. Tip: Make a chicken salad with leftovers using a half-and-half mix of salsa verde and mayonnaise or yogurt. Tip: Chop leftover chicken and toss with salsa verde. Use this mixture, loosened with pasta cooking water, to dress whole-wheat orecchiette. One serving: 467 cal, 30 gm fat, 5 gm sat fat, 2.4 gm carb, 1 gm fiber, 46 gm protein.