Plum and Almond Potstickers
- SERVINGS: 4
Be sure to use ripe plums for these Asian-style fruit dumplings, which are set off by a tangy plum sauce and crunchy nuts. Chef George Mahaffey serves the potstickers with homemade Vietnamese cinnamon ice cream. Try the quick version that appears below or substitute vanilla ice cream.
- 6 ripe medium red plums, 3 finely chopped and 3 quartered
- 1/2 cup Japanese plum wine
- 2 tablespoons almond paste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 large egg, separated
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, preferably Vietnamese
- 4 fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, bring the chopped plums and wine to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover and simmer until the plums are soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth; strain.
- In a bowl, combine the almond paste with 2 tablespoons of the butter, the flour, sugar and nutmeg. Blend in the egg yolk.
- Using a 4-inch round biscuit cutter or a glass, cut out a round from each egg roll wrapper. Beat the egg white until foamy and lightly brush each round. Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons of the almond filling in the center of each round and top with a plum quarter. Fold the rounds over to form half-moons and enclose the plums. Make 5 pleats along the rounded edge to seal each potsticker.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the potstickers and cook for 45 seconds. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool, then drain well.
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the vegetable oil. Add the potstickers and sauté over moderately high heat until lightly browned and warmed through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the honey and walnuts.
- Mix the vanilla ice cream with the cinnamon. Spoon the plum sauce on 4 plates. Place a scoop of ice cream in the center of each and arrange 3 potstickers around it. Garnish with a cilantro sprig and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.