- SERVINGS: 8 TO 10
With its rich, savory filling and sweet pastry, this peasant dish uses the best of local ingredients: ricotta, made from rich cow's milk; spicy salami, which every farmer prepares himself; and basil, a staple of the family garden.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white, beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for glazing
- 1/2 pound ricotta cheese
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 5 ounces spicy salami, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil
- Pour the flour onto a work surface and make a well in the center. Add the sugar, eggs, egg yolks and oil to the well and blend together with a fork. Gradually incorporate the flour into the well until a dough forms. Gently knead the dough until smooth, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Roll out two-thirds of the dough between 2 sheets of parchment or wax paper to a 14-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Transfer the pastry to a 9-inch springform pan; it should reach about two-thirds of the way up the side of the pan. Roll out the remaining third of the dough between 2 sheets of parchment to a 9-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Refrigerate the dough until chilled.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, salami and egg yolks. Stir in the basil and salt. Spread the filling evenly in the pastry-lined pan. Brush the rim of the dough with some of the egg glaze and set the dough round on top; press the edge down firmly to seal and brush the top evenly with more egg glaze.
- Set the springform pan on a baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour, or until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove the side of the pan and let the pizza cool completely. Using a metal spatula, carefully transfer the pizza to a plate. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.