- SERVINGS: Makes six 1/2-pound balls of pizza dough
- 2 envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Olive oil, for brushing
- In a glass measuring cup, sprinkle the yeast over the warm water. Stir in the sugar; let stand until foamy, 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups of the flour with the salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir until smooth. Add the remaining 3 cups of flour and stir until a stiff dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Transfer the dough to a large bowl lightly brushed with olive oil.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the dough and knead it 3 times. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll into balls. Transfer to a lightly floured baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.