- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon mashed roasted garlic or roasted garlic paste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 9 plum tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 ounces aged Manchego cheese, finely grated
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and the fresh and roasted garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Add the bell peppers and zucchini and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Pour in the white wine and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the wine has reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low. Add the tomatoes and simmer gently until the juices have evaporated, about 30 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt. Transfer the <em>pisto</em> to bowls and sprinkle with the grated Manchego.
One serving 239 cal, 12 gm carb, 18 gm fat, 4.6 gm sat fat, 5 gm protein, 3 gm fiber.
Toasted baguette slices.