- 2 tablespoons coffee beans
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup rye flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 cup unsalted pistachios (about 5 ounces)
- 1 cup almond flour (about 4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced, plus 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted and quartered
- 2 Bosc or Bartlett pears—stemmed, cored and cut into 8 wedges each
How to make this recipe
- Make the Coffee Cream In a small bowl, cover the coffee beans with the heavy cream. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Make the Rye Pastry In a food processor, combine the all-purpose and rye flours with the sugar and salt. Add the butter and vegetable shortening and pulse until pea-size crumbs form. Add the ice water and pulse just until the dough comes together. Transfer the dough to a work surface and press into a rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Make the Filling Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the pistachios in a pie plate and bake for about 8 minutes or until lightly toasted. Let the nuts cool completely. Leave the oven on.
- Make the Filling In a food processor, process the pistachios just until very finely ground. Add the almond flour, ¾ cup of sugar, the diced butter, eggs and salt and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Make the Filling On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a 9-by-15-inch rectangle. Trim the edges so they are straight and even. Cut the rectangle into fifteen 3-inch squares. Place 1 tablespoon of the pistachio filling in the center of each square and top with 2 pieces of date. Brush the edge of each square with water and fold the dough diagonally over the filling to make triangles; press the edges to seal. Arrange the turnovers 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Freeze the pastries for about 10 minutes or until chilled
- Make the Filling Brush the turnovers with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake for 18 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is heated through when a knife is inserted in the center. Transfer to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Make the Filling Strain the coffee cream into a bowl and beat to stiff peaks. Serve the turnovers warm or at room temperature with the whipped coffee cream and pear wedges.
The unbaked pistachio-date turnovers can be frozen for up to 1 week.