- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted pistachios (7 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup (5 ounces) pistachio paste (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Chopped candied oranges and lavender honey, for garnish
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan. In a food processor, pulse the pistachios until finely chopped. In a medium bowl, whisk the 1 1/2 cups of flour with the baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, combine the 1 1/2 sticks of butter, 1 cup of the sugar, the pistachio paste and vanilla. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, then beat in the flour mixture at low speed just until incorporated. Fold in 1 cup of the chopped pistachios. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool completely, about 2 hours.
In a small bowl, whisk the mascarpone with the sour cream, the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar and the orange zest . Cut the pistachio cake into wedges and serve with a big dollop of the orange cream, candied orange and a drizzle of lavender honey. Garnish the slices with the remaining chopped pistachios and serve.
The cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature overnight.
Pistachio paste is available at specialty food and baking supply shops, and from kingarthurflour.com.