- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- About 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shelled unsalted pistachios or pecans, very coarsely chopped (about 2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, whisk 2 cups of the flour with the baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, toss the pistachios, apricots and raisins with 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture.
- In a large a bowl, beat the sugar and butter until combined. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, then mix in the vanilla and almond extracts. Blend in the flour mixture on low speed. Stir in the pistachios and dried fruits just until incorporated.
- Gather the dough into a ball; if it's sticky, work in a little more flour. Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, shape each piece into a 13-inch log. Set the logs 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet and gently flatten the logs until they are 3/4 inch thick.
- Bake the logs for about 20 minutes, or until they are golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Let the logs cool for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Using a serrated knife, slice the warm logs diagonally into 1/2 -inch-thick slices. Arrange the slices on their sides on the cookie sheet; if necessary, use a second cookie sheet. Bake the biscotti for about 20 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Transfer the biscotti to a rack to cool.
The biscotti can be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
One Biscotto Calories 60 kcal, Total Fat 1.8 gm, Saturated Fat .5 gm.