- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- One 8-ounce jar Italian tuna in olive oil, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 oil-packed anchovies, drained
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 pound green, Roma or wax beans
- 8 Parisian round carrots or baby carrots
- 4 tender celery ribs with leaves attached, quartered crosswise
- 2 lemon, Persian or Kirby cucumbers, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 2 small watermelon radishes, cut into 8 wedges each, or 10 small radishes, halved
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and cut into 16 wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- In a food processor, combine the 1/4 cup of olive oil with the tuna, lemon juice, anchovies, capers and mayonnaise. Process until smooth. Scrape the tonnato sauce into a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the beans until crisp-tender, 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water; pat dry.
- Arrange the beans, carrots, celery, cucumbers, radishes and fennel on a platter; sprinkle with the sea salt. Drizzle the tonnato with olive oil; serve with the vegetables.
Vermentino, an Italian grape that reaches its peak in coastal regions like Liguria and Sardinia, has a light herbal note that makes it a particularly appealing partner for crudités (not to mention tonnato sauce).