Pineapple Penuche Sauce
- SERVINGS: MAKES 1 3/4 CUPS
This sauce was inspired by the creamy candy penuche, which gets its name from the Mexican term for brown sugar.
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
- In a heavy medium saucepan, simmer the sugar and water over high heat, stirring gently, until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat to moderate and simmer undisturbed until a deep amber caramel forms, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir in the cream. Stir in the butter and rum. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the pineapple and serve.
Make AheadThe sauce can be refrigerated for 2 weeks. Stir in the pineapple just before serving.
Serve WithCaramelized Banana Split