- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 medium shallots, minced
- 2 long hot green chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
How to make this recipe
Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add 6 of the curry leaves, the mustard seeds and the crushed red pepper and cook over high heat until the curry leaves sizzle and the mustard seeds pop, about 30 seconds; remove from the heat.
In a medium skillet, combine the shallots, green chiles, pineapple, water and the remaining 6 curry leaves and simmer over moderately low heat until most of the water has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add the coconut and yogurt and cook, stirring, until heated through but not boiling, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the fried curry leaf mixture; season with salt. Let cool to room temperature and serve.
The pachadi can be refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.