© Quentin Bacon
Pineapple and Red Chile Salsa
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 3 cups
When grilling a meal, chef Robert Del Grande of Cafe Annie and Bar Annie in Houston threads ingredients for sauces onto skewers to cook alongside the meat. While the meat rests, he purees the sauce ingredients in a blender.
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 pound fresh pineapple, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 red bell pepper—stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 1 fresh long red chile, such as a cayenne or Holland chile—stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 12 mint leaves
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Thread the ingredients onto skewers. Brush the kebabs with oil and grill over high heat, turning occasionally, until the vegetables are charred in spots, about 15 minutes; let cool slightly. Remove the ingredients from the skewers and transfer them to a blender.
- Add the mint leaves, water, and lime juice and puree until smooth. Season with salt.
Make Ahead The salsa can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Serve With Grilled pork chops.