- 1 cup finely diced ripe pineapple
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dried red chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Two 1 1/2-pound racks of pork baby back ribs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine the pineapple, garlic, chiles and ginger. Set the racks in a small roasting pan, meaty side up, and season generously with salt and pepper. Spoon half of the pineapple mixture over each rack of ribs, spreading it evenly. Pour 1/2 cup of water into the pan, cover tightly with foil and roast for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and increase the temperature to 500°.
- Uncover the ribs and baste them with the pan juices. Roast them on the top rack of the oven for 15 minutes, rotating the pan and basting every 5 minutes with the pan juices, until nicely glazed on top. Let the ribs rest for 10 minutes, then cut down between them and serve.
Only Zinfandel has the fruit and spice to stand up to the sweetness and heat in this dish.