- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN plus 1 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: makes 3 cups
Pimientos are large, sweet, heart-shaped peppers that are typically used for canning. Pimento cheesethe simple combination of grated cheddar cheese with mayonnaise and pimientosis a Southern staple often served on crackers or vegetables. The key to making the best pimento cheese is top-quality sharp cheddar. But Angie Mosier, owner of Blue-Eyed Daisy Bakeshop in Palmetto, Georgia, says her personal secret is using sweet onions like Vidalia or Walla Walla.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup small Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 cup diced drained pimientos (from one 7-ounce jar)
- In a food processor, blend the mayonnaise, onion and hot sauce. Add the shredded cheese and pulse until finely chopped. Add the pimientos and pulse until combined. Transfer the pimento cheese to a bowl. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.