- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tablespoon jarred harissa paste (see Note)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons sliced scallions
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 ounces drained jarred pimientos, chopped (1/2 cup)
- Pimento cheese, for serving (optional)
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the paprika, salt, baking powder, baking soda and pepper. In a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the eggs, butter, harissa, chives, onion, scallions, parsley and Worcestershire until smooth. Whisk into the dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in the cheese and chopped pimientos.
Using a 1/3-cup measure, scoop the batter into 12 muffin cups. Bake for about 18 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then unmold and serve with pimento cheese.
The muffins can be kept at room temperature overnight.
Harissa, the brick-red Tunisian chile paste, is available at specialty food stores and markets like Whole Foods.