- 5 cups water
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grind stone-ground corn grits
- 4 ounces sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup finely diced jarred piquillo peppers, patted dry
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Whisk in the grits in a slow, steady stream. Add a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until the grits are thickened and tender, about 30 minutes.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk both cheddar cheeses into the grits along with the cream cheese, piquillo peppers and cayenne; season with salt and black pepper. Scrape the grits into a serving bowl, garnish with thinly sliced scallions and serve.
Internal Server Error