- 5 cups water
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grind stone-ground corn grits
- 4 ounces sharp yellow cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 4 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup finely diced jarred piquillo peppers, patted dry
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Whisk in the grits in a slow, steady stream. Add a generous pinch of salt and cook over moderately low heat, whisking frequently, until the grits are thickened and tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk both cheddar cheeses into the grits along with the cream cheese, piquillo peppers and cayenne; season with salt and black pepper. Scrape the grits into a serving bowl, garnish with thinly sliced scallions and serve.