Pie Crust Pastry
- SERVINGS: Makes a 9-inch double pie crust
- 1 egg
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- In a measuring cup, lightly beat the egg. Add enough of the ice water to measure 1/2 cup.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, shortening and butter. Rub or cut the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir the mixture into the dough.
- Turn the dough onto a sheet of waxed paper and knead briefly into a smooth ball. Divide the the dough in half, pat each piece into a smooth 6-inch disk, wrap separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. (If the pastry is made a day ahead, let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes or so to prevent it from cracking when you roll it out.)
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.