- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 pounds watermelon—red flesh and green skin removed, white rind cut into 1-by-1/2-inch rectangles about 1/8 inch thick
- One 3-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 large jalapeño, halved lengthwise
- In a small saucepan, combine the water with the vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Layer the watermelon rind, ginger and jalapeño in a 1-quart heatproof glass jar and cover with the pickling liquid. Let stand at room temperature for 3 hours. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Drain the pickles before serving.
The pickles can be refrigerated in their brine for up to 2 weeks.
Contributed By Justin Chapple Photo © Heather Chontos Published