- 3 cups water
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries
- 2 pounds large shrimp (16 to 20 per pound)shelled and deveined, tails left on
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound spinachstemmed, washed, dried and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar, garlic, jalapeños, bay leaves, crushed red pepper, salt, peppercorns and allspice berries and bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer the shrimp and liquid to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 10 hours.
- In a large saucepan, boil the cream over high heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 1 minute. Transfer the spinach mixture to a bowl and let cool. Stir in the crème fraîche and lemon juice and season with salt.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift the shrimp and jalapeños from the marinade and arrange on a platter. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve the spinach dip in a bowl alongside.
The spinach dip can be refrigerated overnight.
Beer Tangy hefeweizen: Harpoon UFO.
Wine Fresh, citrusy Spanish Verdejo.