- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 quart distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 whole cloves
- 24 jumbo shell-on shrimp (2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Creole or stone-ground mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons jarred horseradish
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- Kosher salt
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
Make the pickled shrimp Fill a large pot with ice water. In a large saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the shrimp with 2 cups of water and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp, remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer the shrimp and the cooking liquid to a large bowl. Set the bowl in the ice water bath and let cool completely.
Make the remoulade In a medium bowl, whisk all of the ingredients and season with salt.
Drain, peel and devein the shrimp and arrange on a platter. Serve with the remoulade and lemon wedges.
Creole mustard is a spiced, coarse mustard. It can be found at most grocery stores and on amazon.com.
Citrusy Muscadet: 2014 Domaine Michel Bregeon Sevre-et-Maine Sur Lie.