- 1 small onion, thickly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thick strips
- 1 to 2 small dried red chiles, crushed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries, crushed
- 2 pounds large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 small lemon, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves
- In a nonreactive saucepan, combine 2 cups of water with the onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chiles, vinegar, sugar, peppercorns and allspice. Boil over high heat for 2 minutes, then stir in the shrimp and cook just until pink and loosely curled. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt and the lemon slices, squeezing them a bit. Transfer the shrimp and marinade to a large bowl or wide 2-quart jar and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight, stirring a few times.
- Transfer the shrimp to a clean bowl. Strain 3/4 cup of the marinade into a small bowl. Cut 4 of the red pepper strips into small dice. Stir 3/4 teaspoon salt into the strained marinade and whisk in the oil. (Discard the remaining marinade.)
- Pour the dressing over the shrimp and toss well. Spoon the chilled shrimp onto plates and garnish with the red pepper dice and parsley leaves.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.