Pickled Red Onions
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: makes 1 1/2 cups
Rae and Noah Bernamoff’s magenta-pink onions have the perfect balance of sugar and tang. At their tiny Brooklyn, New York, restaurant, Mile End Delicatessen, they serve the onions with chopped liver, but this condiment would also be delicious on a corned-beef sandwich—or any sandwich, for that matter.
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 medium red onions, sliced into thin rings
- In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, cloves, allspice, bay leaves, peppercorns and mustard seeds and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Layer the onion rings in a 2-cup jar or plastic container. Strain the brine into the jar and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Drain the onions and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.