- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 2 medium red onions, sliced into thin rings
How to make this recipe
- In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, cloves, allspice, bay leaves, peppercorns and mustard seeds and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Layer the onion rings in a 2-cup jar or plastic container. Strain the brine into the jar and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Drain the onions and serve.
The pickled onions can be refrigerated in the brine for up to 3 days.