- Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 quarts water
- 5 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 bay leaves
- 10 allspice berries
- 6 marjoram sprigs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, dissolve 2 tablespoons of salt in the water. Add the onions, let soak for 10 minutes and drain well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, bay leaves, allspice, marjoram, oregano and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar. Season with salt and let cool. Discard the allspice, marjoram and bay leaves before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.