Pickled Red Onions
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
These onions are a great addition to salads, but they're also wonderful on burgers or hot dogs or with grilled poultry or meats.
- 1 1/2 cups white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large, dark red onion, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
- 3 cups boiling water
- In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar and cold water with the sugar and salt. Stir to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Put the onion slices in a colander and pour the boiling water over them. Rinse under cool water and drain. Add the onion to the vinegar brine, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.