- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- In a small saucepan, combine the red wine with the balsamic vinegar, honey, bay leaf, fennel seeds, mustard seeds and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Cover the saucepan and remove from the heat. Let the brine stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the red onion slices, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring the onion occasionally, until the slices are softened, about 6 minutes. Scrape the onion into a bowl.
- Strain the brine over the onion and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature and serve in the brine.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.