- 11/4 pounds pearl onions, trimmed
- 8 cloves
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- Eight 1/2-inch-wide strips of lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Boil the onions over high heat for 4 minutes. Drain and let cool. When the onions are cool enough to handle, slip off their skins.
- Pack the onions into four 1/2-pint jars. Add 2 cloves, 1/4 teaspoon of mustard seeds and 2 strips of lemon zest to each jar.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar, sugar and salt and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the brine over the onions to cover. Let cool, then seal the jars and refrigerate the onions for at least 3 weeks.
The pickled onions can be refrigerated for up to 1 year.