- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 dill sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 fresh hot red chile
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound mixed chanterelle and morel mushrooms, cleaned with a damp cloth
- Wrap the peppercorns, garlic, thyme, dill, bay leaves, chile and cloves in a large piece of cheesecloth and tie it with kitchen string.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water with the vinegar, sugar, salt and herb sachet and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the mushrooms and return to a boil, then simmer over moderate heat for 1 minute. Transfer the mushrooms and brine to a heatproof bowl and let cool completely, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain the mushrooms before serving.
The pickled mushrooms can be refrigerated in the brine for up to 1 week.