Pickled Golden Chanterelles and Morels
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN Plus cooling and overnight pickling
- SERVINGS: 1 quart
This quick pickle is perfect for enjoying all summer long, says Andrew Zimmern. He suggests using cremini, button and any other mushrooms you can find, except for delicate trumpets and Japanese mushrooms.
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 dill sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 fresh hot red chile
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound mixed chanterelle and morel mushrooms, cleaned with a damp cloth
- Wrap the peppercorns, garlic, thyme, dill, bay leaves, chile and cloves in a large piece of cheesecloth and tie it with kitchen string.
- In a large saucepan, combine the water with the vinegar, sugar, salt and herb sachet and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the mushrooms and return to a boil, then simmer over moderate heat for 1 minute. Transfer the mushrooms and brine to a heatproof bowl and let cool completely, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain the mushrooms before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.