- 3/4 pound tender young carrots, tops removed and carrots halved lengthwise
- 12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 large Kirby cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
How to make this recipe
- In a large colander set in a bowl, toss the carrots, radishes and cucumbers with 2 tablespoons of the salt. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heatproof medium bowl, cover the porcini with the boiling water and let cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Strain the porcini broth through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Squeeze the mushrooms dry and reserve them for another use. Add the vinegar, garlic, sugar and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt to the porcini broth and whisk until the sugar and salt dissolve. Rinse the vegetables and squeeze them dry, then add to the porcini brine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. Drain the pickled vegetables and serve.
The drained pickles can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.