Pickled Farm-Stand Tomatoes with Jalapeños
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN plus 4 hr pickling
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 6 tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds), each cut into 6 wedges
- 4 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced into rings and seeded
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar, brown sugar and salt to a boil, stirring. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic, grated ginger, mustard seeds, black pepper, turmeric, ground cumin and cayenne pepper and cook over low heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour the hot oil into the vinegar mixture.
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine the tomatoes, scallions and jalapeños. Stir in the hot pickling liquid and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours or refrigerate for 8 hours, then serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.