© Kamran Siddiqi
Pickled Cucumber Relish
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
Nothing could be simpler than this sweet-sour pickle of cucumbers marinated with Thai chiles and shallots in a white-vinegar brine. It's an ideal accompaniment to coconut milk–based curries, fried fish cakes or grilled chicken.
Slideshow: More Thai Recipes
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 6 kirby cucumbers (1 1/2 pounds), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 Thai chiles, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl, combine the water with the vinegar. Add the sugar and salt, stirring to dissolve. Stir in the cucumbers, shallots and chiles. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days. Stir in the cilantro just before serving.