Pickled Beets and Eggs
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS 30 MIN plus overnight pickling
- SERVINGS: 4
Sweet beets pickled in apple cider vinegar make a stellar brine for pickling hard-boiled eggs, making for an irresistible, nutritious snack.
- 4 small red beets (about 3/4 pound), scrubbed
- 1 cup raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 hard-cooked large eggs, peeled
- 6 dill sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Wrap the beets in foil and roast for about 1 hour, until tender. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and quarter the beets.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, garlic, sugar, peppercorns and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer over moderately high heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Let the pickling liquid cool to warm, about 15 minutes.
- Layer the beets, onion, eggs and dill in a heatproof 1-quart glass jar and cover with the pickling liquid. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.