- 4 small red beets (about 3/4 pound), scrubbed
- 1 cup raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 hard-cooked large eggs, peeled
- 6 dill sprigs
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Wrap the beets in foil and roast for about 1 hour, until tender. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and quarter the beets.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar, water, garlic, sugar, peppercorns and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer over moderately high heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Let the pickling liquid cool to warm, about 15 minutes.
- Layer the beets, onion, eggs and dill in a heatproof 1-quart glass jar and cover with the pickling liquid. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The pickled beets and eggs can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.