- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup minced shallot
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 dried hot red chile, such as árbol
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound green beans, thinly sliced crosswise on a bias
- 3/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Yellow rice and lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, toast the fennel seeds over moderate heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a mortar or spice grinder and let cool, then grind to a powder.
In the same skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the shallot, cilantro, garlic, oregano, chile, ground fennel and a generous pinch of salt and cook over high heat until the vegetables are softened, about 1 minute. Add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until nicely browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the beans and stock and cook, stirring, until the beans are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Serve with yellow rice and lime wedges.