- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces dried fideos noodles or spaghettini, crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the sirloin and cook over high heat until browned all over; transfer to a plate.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the pot. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the stock, potato, cumin and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the noodles and simmer until al dente, about 5 minutes. Return the meat and any accumulated juices to the pot and cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Discard the bay leaf. Season the stew with salt and pepper, ladle into bowls and serve.