- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1/2 pound burrata cheese (2 small balls), drained and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 firm Fuyu persimmons, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, cook the sugar over moderate heat, undisturbed, until melted and light golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sesame seeds and a pinch of salt and immediately scrape onto a parchment paper–lined plate. Let cool completely, then break the candy into small pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the olive oil with the vinegar, maple syrup and shallot; season with salt and pepper. Mound the arugula on a platter and scatter the burrata, persimmons, sesame candy and pomegranate seeds on top. Drizzle some of the dressing over the salad and serve, passing the remaining dressing at the table.
The sesame candy can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
A tropical-fruit-inflected California Sauvignon Blanc pair well with this crunchy salad.