© Monica Buck
Peppered Ginger Spice Muffins with Orange Maple Butter
- SERVINGS: MAKES 12 MUFFINS
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup finely grated peeled fresh ginger (from a 6-inch piece)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup hot strong coffee
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Orange Maple Butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and all of the ground and dry spices. Stir in the fresh ginger.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs with the brown and granulated sugars on medium speed until thick and light, about 4 minutes. Add the molasses and oil and beat until smooth. On low speed, beat in the dry ingredients in 2 batches, alternating with the hot coffee.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups until they are three-fourths full and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centers of the muffins comes out clean. Let the muffins cool completely in the pan before unmolding. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with Orange Maple Butter.
Make AheadThe muffin batter can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated overnight.