© Con Poulos
Pepper-and-Spice-Rubbed Rib Eye Steaks
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
To enhance the flavor of this rib eye, the spice-rubbed steak stands at room temperature for 1 hour before it's cooked to medium-rare.
Slideshow: More Delicious Steak Recipes
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Two 1 1/4-pound, bone-in rib eye steaks
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a bowl, whisk together everything except the steaks, salt and oil. Rub 1 tablespoon of the spice mix on each side of the steaks and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Season the steaks with salt. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the steaks and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until medium-rare, 6 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the steak off the bone, slice across the grain and serve.
Make Ahead The spice rub can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Spicy California Syrah is a natural with these peppery steaks. Pour one from Santa Barbara.